Whatever the nature of their local community and their special educational needs and disabilities, pupils are growing up in a wider multi-cultural and multi-racial society where they are subject to various attitudes towards minority groups, and the images of these groups portrayed by the media. Our core purpose is to engage, enable and empower every pupil to optimize their future life chances by unlocking individual potential and maximizing their progress and attainment.
Ethos & Values
Our values are central to achieving our aims and sustaining the positive ethos of our school. As a moral compass, values guide us from day to day in our learning, thinking and decision-making. The impact of our values is evident in the culture and lived experience of daily school life for all.
All individuals at Percy Hedley School demonstrate that we value:
- Honesty, by telling the truth and being true to our word
- Respect, by valuing the diversity, rights and property of others
- Friendship, by showing consideration to others
- Responsibility, by contributing positively to our whole school community, by accepting the consequences of actions and by agreeing and following simple rules
- Endeavour, by striving to achieve our best and valuing also the achievements of others
- Contribution by working together appropriately to achieve our aims
- Enjoyment through active involvement in school life and making the most of opportunities
All individuals at Percy Hedley School reject and challenge:
- Discrimination of any type,
- Irresponsible or thoughtless behaviours.
At Percy Hedley School, the children are at the centre of everything we do. Our priority is to deliver the highest quality teaching and therapy whilst providing rich, engaging and enjoyable learning experiences for our community of children. Everything we do as a school is to ensure that all pupils achieve their very best in all aspects of their development.
Our integrated staff teams are deeply aware that children only get one chance at their education and it is our job to ensure that they all fulfill their individual potential and aspire for the highest levels of personal development and achievement. We want every child to be successful; to reach for success from the very first day they join us and throughout their school lives so that when they leave us, they have a love of learning for the rest of their lives and consequently have the best life chances.
At Percy Hedley School we aim to:
- Provide a safe, secure and stimulating environment that is conducive to all children having every opportunity to reach their full potential;
- Have the highest regard and respect for the experiences, knowledge and cultural diversity that every child brings to school.
- Value the achievements of all children, both in and out of school
- Include opportunities for all children to develop self-confidence, self-esteem and self-efficacy.
- Provide a supportive culture in which all staff are encouraged to extend, develop and share excellent practice and their expertise;
- Ensure that issues of equal opportunities are considered in all our work;
- Provide a curriculum based on the National Curriculum and Foundation Stage Curriculum that is broad, balanced, relevant, progressive and appropriately differentiated and supported
- Offer all children equal access to the curriculum and school life in the community where individual differences are appreciated, celebrated, understood and accepted
- Encourage and support pupils to become good citizens, by developing caring attitudes and respect towards themselves, other children, adults, their school and their community
- Recognise that children are constantly developing and ensure that the learning opportunities, interventions and curriculum provided to them is appropriate to their needs and development;
- Encourage each individual to take responsibility for his/her own behaviour and to act as a good role model to others.
We asked our stakeholders what words they would use to describe Percy Hedley School and made a Wordle from their responses.