20th March 2020
Re Covid 19 closures
Thank you so much for your support over the past few days as we navigate this unprecedented arena of trying to keep our Percy Hedley family safe in these challenging times. Whilst we had anticipated school closures and had plans in place for this announcement- the current guidance has left us frantically working to ensure we can continue to deliver an appropriate service to your children whilst maintaining the health and longevity of our staff team.
The latest government document has asked us to work within these principles:
- If it is at all possible for children to be at home, then they should be.
- If a child needs specialist support, is vulnerable or has a parent who is a critical worker, then educational provision will be available for them.
- Parents should not rely for childcare upon those who are advised to be in the stringent social distancing category such as grandparents, friends, or family members with underlying conditions.
- Parents should also do everything they can to ensure children are not mixing socially in a way which can continue to spread the virus. They should observe the same social distancing principles as adults.
- Residential special schools, boarding schools and special settings continue to care for children wherever possible.
As such we aim to offer the following:
Schools to stay open to a number of pupils.
Communication sent out yesterday asked you to inform us if you intend to keep your child at home during this time. I would ask that you inform us as soon as possible today (20.3.20. no later than 2pm) if you intend to send your child to school on Monday.
I am altering the time of the school day to begin at 9.30am- this will give us the opportunity to ensure we have full staff teams in place and can keep your children safe once they arrive in school.
The service we will be offering at this time will not be our usual service. We are running on a skeleton staff team and cannot offer the teaching or therapy normally on offer. Our main aim during this time is to keep your children safe. I cannot guarantee all children will be working with their usual staff team.
For those parents who chose to keep their children at home, or are required to by the guidance of social distancing or self isolation. We want to ensure we continue to support you at home. As such we will be:
- Sending links/work/support plans home for parents to support their children in the home.
- Making contact with all families regularly either by phone or email.
- Conducting some keeping in touch visits/support visits (where possible and where deemed necessary). Please can you have handwashing facilities available for staff.
Please bear with us as we fine tune this offer- it may not be up and running immediately.
To support us in staying safe during this time we will also be:
- Taking your child’s temperature when they arrive at school and not allowing entry if it is 37.8 degrees or more.
- If you child becomes unwell at school we will be isolating your child and asking you to be collect them if their temperature is 37.8 or above, or they develop a continuous cough.
- All pupils should enter the building via the pupil entrance- there will be no access via the front office.
- If your child is unwell and you know they will not be attending school please let us know as soon as possible via firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you wish to send a packed lunch for your child please feel free to do so- we hope to offering catering facilities as usual.
- Please ensure your child has all their medication and usual supplies and our contact numbers are up to date.
- I will be planning rotas on a week by week basis- so if you would like to child to come in the following week as situations change- please can you let us know by noon on Thursday of the week before via email@example.com
Please be aware that this is a continually changing climate and we are working continuously to ensure we offer a fully supportive service. However, we are bound by the same challenges and constraints as everyone else at this time. Any of this information may be subject to change at any time. I will not put children or staff at risk and I urge you to follow the guidance issued by the government, particularly in related to social distancing and self isolation.
Social distancing information:
Advice on self isolation:
Please continue to follow our foundation social media page for any updates and our usual text to parents route. Thank you so much for your continuous support, as always I am amazed by the resilience and flexibility of our Percy Hedley Family and know that with our combined and supportive efforts we can overcome these truly challenging times.
Stay safe everyone